Meet Nada Nicola-HoworthSpecialty Risk and Insurance Lawyer
"Finding creative and cost-effective strategies for managing the defence of claims is a welcome challenge. Thinking "outside-the-box" can often lead to efficient file-handling and the favourable resolution of claims."
- Partner, Lerners LLP (2009-present)
- Associate lawyer, Lerners LLP (1999-2008)
- Articling student, Lerners LLP (1997-1998)
- Motor vehicle claims
- Municipal liabilityPublic entity defence
- Professional negligence claims
- Property damage claims
- Statutory accident benefits
- Insurance fraud
- General & Commercial liability
- Nada has a varied insurance defence practice, with experience in a number of different areas. She has defended municipalities in class actions, cases involving the Occupiers’ Liability Act, road non-repair, building and other infrastructure issues. Nada has also been involved in the defence of property owners, professional liability claims and claims stemming from motor vehicle accidents.
- Upchurch v. City of Oshawa 2013 ONSC 3375; 2014 ONCA 425 – Nada acted for the City of Oshawa in the Superior Court and on appeal to the Ontario Court of Appeal in this successful defence of this action involving by-law and building code issues.
- Lancaster (Litigation guardian of) v. Santos  O.J. No. 3706 (ON SC) - Nada, along with Anne Spafford and Adam Patenaude, successfully defended the County of Dufferin in this multi-million dollar Third Party Action, involving issues of road design and signage.
- Nadolny v. The Region of Peel – Nada acted for the Region of Peel in the defence of a potential class action commenced on behalf of a group of retired and non-unionized employees of the Region of Peel. Among other things, the plaintiffs alleged breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and negligent misrepresentation arising from the Region’s implementation of a cost sharing plan with respect to health benefit premiums. Nada successfully defended the plaintiffs’ attempt to have the action certified.
- Program Co-Director and Presenter, “Conducting a Mediation: Best Practices”, The Osgoode Certificate in Insurance Defence Law & Practice, October 23-November 28, 2013
- “Owners liable when injuries happen at the cottage”, AdvocateDaily.com, May 23, 2013 (Read online)
- "Court rejects ‘certify now, worry later’ approach", The Lawyers Weekly, October 30, 2009
- Selected by peers for inclusion in Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for Medical Negligence & Professional Liability (2021-2022)
- Selected by peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in Canada for Health Care Law, Medical Negligence, Professional Malpractice Law
- While in law school, Nada received the Centennial Scholarship (1995-1996) and the Patrick A.A. Ryan Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Trial Advocacy (1996-1997). She was on the Dean's Honour List. Nada represented the University of New Brunswick at the Laskin Moot Court Competition (1995-1996).
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Admitted to Ontario Bar (1999)
- Bachelor of Laws, University of New Brunswick (1997)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Management and Marketing), Saint Mary’s University (1994)