Lerners has a long-standing commitment to pro bono initiatives. Current programs include:
- Pro Bono Law Ontario (PBLO): supporting PBLO initiatives with both funding and lawyers who volunteer their time to these programs, including for appearances at the Supreme Court of Canada, Ontario Court of Appeal, Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Small Claims Court, as well as appearing as Amicus Curiae (friend of the court) at all levels of court;
- Canadian Civil Liberties Association (CCLA): supporting the CCLA with both funding and lawyers who volunteer their time to argue cases that are essential to protecting the fundamental freedoms of Canadians;
- Women’s Legal Education and Action Fund (LEAF): supporting LEAF with both funding and lawyers who volunteer their time to argue cases that are essential to advancing equality for and protecting the rights of women and girls in Canada;
- Parkdale Community Legal Services (PCLS): partnering with PCLS on a pro bono program wherein Lerners lawyers take on overflow of Ontario Disability Support Program appeals; and
- Covenant House’s Safe House Program: providing pro bono services to survivors of sex trafficking who wish to seek financial compensation through applications to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board.