Meet David M. WoodwardLand Development & Municipal Law Lawyer
"I feel significant personal and professional satisfaction from having developed long-term relationships with my municipal clients. It has been rewarding to have them place their trust and confidence in me for over twenty-five years."
Corporate and Commercial Law
Municipal Law: Local Government
- Practice Group Leader, Municipal Real Estate and Land Development Group, Lerners LLP (2017 to present)
- Practice Group Leader, Business Law Group, Lerners LLP (2002-2004)
- Partner, Lerners LLP (1998 to present)
- Associate lawyer, Lerners LLP (1991-1997)
- Renewable Energy Projects
- Infrastructure Projects
- Municipal Joint Venture Agreements
- Municipal Agreements
- Municipal By-Laws
- Purchase and Sale of Municipal Property
- Development, Subdivision and Site Plan Agreements
- Planning Applications
- Legal Opinions
- Agreements for Public Sector Bodies
- Municipal Law Services
- Acted for a local municipality in connection with renewable energy projects.
- Acted for a local municipality in connection with a proposed $25,000,000.00 Sewage Plant.
- Ongoing retainers with institutional lenders for commercial lending transactions.
- Acted for a local municipality in connection with a Joint Venture with other municipalities for both a large community centre and a medical centre.
- Acted for aviation clients in the purchase and sale of aircraft, the granting of security that involves aircraft and for general aviation law services.
- Acted for a local municipality in connection with the approval and development of an Ethanol Plant.
- Acted for municipal shareholders in the sale of municipal electric utilities.
- Shareholder disputes including Director and Shareholder Meetings during such disputes and the buyout of shareholders to resolve shareholder disputes.
- Negotiation and enforcement of commercial leases.
- Certified as a Specialist in Corporate and Commercial Law and Municipal Law: Local Government by the Law Society of Upper Canada
- “Demand Requirements and Limitation Issues for Guarantees”, Middlesex Law Association Continuing Legal Education Paper and Presentation (2010)
- “Fundamental Breach and Exclusion of Liability Clauses in Procurement Situations”, Middlesex Law Association Continuing Legal Education Paper and Presentation (2010)
- “The New Consumer Protection Act”, Middlesex Law Association Continuing Legal Education Presentation (2005)
- “The Importance of Written Legal Advice”, Lawyers Weekly (Summer 2003)
- “What’s In A Name”, Lerners’ Update
- “Lender Liability”, London Business Magazine
- Canadian Bar Association
- Middlesex Law Association
- Honorary Director, Children’s Health Foundation
- Past Chair, Children's Health Foundation (June 2017 to June 2018)
- Chair, Children’s Health Foundation (2015 – June 2017)
- Past Vice-Chair, Children’s Health Foundation (2013 – 2015)
- Executive Committee, Children’s Health Foundation (2011 - 2018)
- Director, Children’s Health Foundation (2009 - 2018)
- Investment Committee, Children’s Health Foundation (2012 – 2015)
- London Squash and Fitness Club
- Divisional Champion, 2014 London Squash and Fitness Club Championship
- Divisional Champion, 2007 London Squash and Fitness Club Championship
- Coach, Southwest London Optimist Minor Sports
- Coach, London Ramblers Basketball
- Past Director and Treasurer, Big Brothers of London and Middlesex (1998-2002)
- Past President and Director, Arthritis Society (London Branch) (1997-2001)
- Former Big Brother, Big Brothers of London and Middlesex (1991-1997)
- Past Chair, Outstanding Business Achievement Awards, London Chamber of Commerce
- Past Chair, Small Business Committee, London Chamber of Commerce
- Past Instructor, Fanshawe College Real Estate Law
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar (1991)
- Bachelor of Laws, Queens University (1988)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours Business), The University of Western Ontario (1989)