George Hamzo is an Associate at Lerners LLP in its London office practicing exclusively in the area of labour and employment law. George has expertise in virtually every employment related issue which may arise in the workplace including: human rights issues; workplace investigations; employment standards legislation including the Employment Standards Act, 2000 and the Canada Labour Code; the Occupational Health and Safety Act; employment contracts; and, restrictive covenants including non-competition and non-solicitation agreements. While George has developed a great deal of experience in litigation and can provide valuable representation to his clients in Superior Court, the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal and the Ontario Labour Relations Board, he also has a practical and forward-looking approach to employment and labour issues, helping his clients anticipate and resolve workplace issues before they arise.
In addition to being part of the firm’s Commercial Litigation Group, George is also a member of the Business Law Group and provides valuable insights to the firm’s business clients, including advising them on managing the labour and employment risks associated with business transactions such as the sale of a business or a merger. George also has a special interest in Education Law, and has assisted large institutional clients in that sector on numerous issues related employment contracts, severance obligations, and accommodation issues under the Human Rights Code.
George strives to provide his clients with practical, efficient and valuable advice to help his clients navigate through this difficult and sometimes confusing area of law.
- Regularly acts for employers and employees in proceedings before the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal.
- Provides advice to both provincial and federally regulated employers regarding employment standards legislation.
- Drafts employer workplace policies including anti-harassment and anti-discrimination policies.
- Assists both small and large organizations through the process of termination, including negotiating severance packages.
- Acts for large institutional clients on a wide-range of employment topics, including drafting company-wide employment agreements and precedents.
- Acts for employers at the Ontario Labour Relations Board on a number of issues including appeals from orders of Employment Standards Officers.
- Acts for buyers and sellers in business transactions advising them of labour and employment risks associated with the sale of businesses.
- Speaker, "Change and Continuity: One year after Bill 148", Building Wealth with Employee Loyalty for Business Owners, London/St. Thomas Commercial Centre and RBC Commercial Commercial Mortgages Seminar, April 2019
- Speaker, Cannabis and Youth Presentation, Ontario Justice Education Network at Western Law, December 7, 2018
- Speaker, Human Resources Seminar, Cannabis and the Workplace, Lerners LLP, October 23, 2018
- Speaker, Legalization of Marijuana and Employment Law”, Middlesex London Health Unit, September 25, 2018
- Speaker, “Employment Liability Issues”, Innovation Works London, April 10, 2018
- Speaker, “Bill 148, Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act, 2017”, London Home Builders Association Seminar, March 9, 2018
- Ontario Mutual Insurance Companies, Presentation on Damages Awards - April 5, 2017
- Contributing Author, Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Utilitarianism (Continuum Publishing, 2013), twelve entries with Professor James Crimmins
- “Canadian Peace and Security Spending: An Update on the 5Ds”, with Ernie Regehr, Ploughshares Monitor (29/3, Autumn 2008)
- Middlesex Law Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Member, Board of Directors, Community Living London (2018 - present)
- LondonFuse, Board of Directors, London Ontario (2014-2015)
- Co-founder, Banished by the King Theatre Company (2010-present)
- Called to the Ontario Bar (2015)
- Juris Doctor, Faculty of Law, University of Western Ontario (2014)
- Master of Arts in Global Governance, Balsillie School of International Affairs, University of Waterloo (2009)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honors Specialization) Political Science, Huron University College, University of Western Ontario (2007).
- Associate Lawyer, Lerners LLP (2018 to present)
- Associate Lawyer, Foster Townsend LLP (2017-2018)
- Associate Lawyer, Shillingtons LLP (2015-2017)
- Student-at-Law, Cohen Highley LLP (2014-2015)
- Summer Student, Cohen Highley LLP (2013)