Meet Kevin L. RossHealth Law Lawyer
"As the field of medicine grows increasingly complex, so too does the practice of medically related litigation. I welcome the challenge!"
As a partner at Lerners LLP, Kevin has a wide-ranging civil litigation practice that encompasses plaintiff personal injury and insurance litigation, health law, class actions, professional regulation, and commercial litigation. He represents individuals as well as institutional clients of all sizes. He is a highly skilled trial lawyer who truly empathizes with his clients and advocates on their behalf with tremendous skill and compassion.
In his 40 years of experience, Kevin has earned a reputation for exceptional and fearless advocacy. His ability to balance stellar legal acumen with good judgment and common sense allows him to consistently achieve appropriate results for his clients. He has appeared at all levels of court in Ontario, the Federal Court of Canada, and the Supreme Court of Canada. He also has extensive experience appearing before various administrative and adjudicative tribunals.
Kevin has distinguished himself as a leader across all areas of his litigation practice, where he is known for developing innovative settlement techniques and employing effective trial advocacy if and when a fair and reasonable settlement cannot be achieved.
Kevin has been certified by the Law Society of Ontario as a Specialist in Civil Litigation since 2003. In 2015, he was made a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. Fellowship is extended only by invitation, after careful investigation, to those experienced trial lawyers who have mastered the art of advocacy and whose professional careers have been marked by the highest standards of ethical conduct, professionalism, civility, and collegiality.
Kevin is currently running for LSO Bencher for 2023 as part of the Good Governance Coalition.
Kevin has held several leadership positions at Lerners, including serving as on Practice Group Leader of the Class Actions Group (2014-2017).
In addition to his leadership roles at the firm, Kevin has been and continues to be an active leader in the legal and larger community, serving in the following roles:
- University of Windsor, Faculty of Law
- Member, Campaign Cabinet - “Transforming Windsor Law” fundraising campaign for a substantial renovation of the law school
- Member, Steering Committee - Establishment of “Class of 1982” Endowment, which annually provides a scholarship to a worthy law student
- Lawson Health Research Institute (2014-2018)
- Chair, Board of Directors (2016-2018)
- Vice-Chair, Board of Directors (2014-2016)
- Responsible for establishing a structure for good governance, including putting several critical risk management, budget management, and asset management frameworks in place, as well as initiating and sponsoring activities related to strategic and succession planning.
- London Health Sciences Centre (2012-2022)
- Member, Board of Directors (2013-2022)
- Community Member, Board of Directors (2012-2013)
- Responsible for governance; quality and performance measurement and monitoring; financial oversight; management oversight; risk identification and oversight; stakeholder communication and accountability; and legal compliance.
- Played a pivotal role in helping the LHSC and LHSF board successfully develop a new strategic plan, including cost reductions and governance reforms, which led to LHSF being viewed as sector leaders on governance and fundraising matters.
- Co-chair of Tastings
- The Advocates’ Society
- Member, Board of Directors (1996-1999)
Kevin is an author and lecturer on various legal topics in his practice areas and is frequently invited to present, lead, and create legal and advocacy training programs for law schools and legal education organizations, including: Osgoode Professional Development, the Canadian Institute, the Law Society of Ontario, the Advocates’ Society and the Middlesex Law Association.
He also has a long history of teaching and instructing law students and lawyers:
- University of Windsor, Faculty of Law
- Lecturer on various subjects including civil trial advocacy, tort law, health law and class action law
- Western Law
- Lecturer on various subjects including civil procedure, trial advocacy and class actions
- Past Adjunct Professor and lecturer in civil procedure and civil trial advocacy
- Fanshawe College (1995-1998)
- Sessional Instructor: “Occupational Health and Safety Legislation”.
- Bar Admission Course, London (1985-1988)
- Instructor on employment law and civil procedure
Kevin has earned consistent and continued recognition by his professional peers and colleagues for his legal skills and contributions to the profession and the community, as evidenced by the numerous achievements and recognitions outlined below:
- Chambers Canada
- Leading Lawyer in Healthcare – Contentious
- University of Windsor, Faculty of Law: Distinguished Alumni Award (2020)
- Recognizes a graduate in any field of law who, through excellence in their career, brings distinction to the legal profession and enhances the reputation of Windsor Law
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2013 – 2022)
- Litigation – Corporate Commercial; Litigation–Commercial Insurance; Litigation: Product Liability Class Actions; Medical Negligence; Personal Injury
- Best Lawyers in Canada (2006 – 2023)
- Personal Injury Litigation (2016-2023); Product Liability (2015-2023); Healthcare Law (2015-2023); Medical Negligence (2020-2023); Class Actions Litigation (2020-2023). Lawyer of the Year, London/Windsor – Healthcare Law (2015; 2017); Lawyer of the Year, London/Windsor – Personal Injury Litigation (2019); Lawyer of the Year, London/Windsor – Product Liability Law (2020)
- Lexpert/ROB Special Edition: Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers (2016 – 2021)
- Leading Canadian Litigator
- Martindale-Hubbell – Notable Rating ®
- Highly rated in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards
- University of Windsor, Faculty of Law (2006)
- Certificate of Appreciation for dedication and leadership in the activities of Windsor Law Alumni
- Partner, Lerners LLP (1989-present)
- Practice Group Leader, Class Actions (2014-2017)
- Associate, Lerners LLP (1984-1989)
- Middlesex Law Association
- The Advocates' Society
- Admitted to Ontario Bar (1984)
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Windsor (1982)
- Bachelor of Arts, McMaster University (1979)
Insights from LERNx