Senior Law Clerk - Health Law Group
Lerners, one of Ontario's leading law firms, is dedicated to providing all of our clients — be they individuals, businesses, institutions or corporations — with exceptional legal counsel. For over eighty years, Lerners has provided a full range of legal services throughout Ontario. Lerners LLP maintains an attractive work environment with excellent support services and state-of-the-art technology, in addition to a competitive compensation package.
We are looking for a Senior Law Clerk to join our Health Law Group. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 15+ years of previous experience working within the health law sector, be driven and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Responsible for day to day management of Health Law cases assigned by supervising Lawyer
- Organize the collection of information required to advance files, satisfy undertakings and trial preparation
- Review and organize liability and damage productions
- Draft pleadings, Statements of Defence, Discovery Plans, Affidavits of Documents, Motions, Pre-Trial and Mediation Memoranda
- Facilitate expert searches and assist in retaining appropriate experts, including preparation of retainer letter and enclosures
- Maintain expert briefs
- Serve as an intermediary by telephone, correspondence and e-mail communications between clients, experts and opposing counsel
- Prepare chronologies with a view of the importance/relevance to litigation issues
- Draft correspondence
- Review E/D transcripts and prepare and maintain Undertaking Charts
- Prepare Bills of Costs and Cost Outlines
- Summarize damages and medical documentation
- Maintain a solid bring forward system
- Capable of following stringent client protocols
- Minimum 15 years’ relevant law clerk experience
- Relevant post-secondary education
- Thorough knowledge of legal procedures and statutes
- Thorough knowledge of litigation law with a focus on Health Law
- Ability to prioritize and make judgement calls
- Ability to distinguish between administrative and billable tasks and delegate appropriately
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Confidence to produce excellent work product
- Ability to know when to seek instruction/involve lawyer in certain situations
- Proficient in management of electronic records including loading and coding 750 pages
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, with an emphasis on delivery of excellent service to our clients
- Thorough knowledge of Rules of Civil Procedure, legal procedures and statutes
- Work toward assigned objectives
- Primarily works independently
- Results of work reviewed with supervising lawyer on completion of assignment
- Is responsible for own work
Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume by e-mail to CareersToronto@lerners.ca by 4 p.m. on April 11, 2019. We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
Lerners LLP is a barrier-free workplace. Additional accommodations are available to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, assessment and selection process. Should you require accommodation at our Toronto office, please contact us by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 416.867.3076.
Lerners LLP is committed to diversity and inclusion in its workplace and encourages participation from all qualified applicants without discrimination.