Marketing & Business Development Manager
We have an opening for a Marketing & Business Development Manager.
Creative, collaborative and ready to focus on driving forward the strategic Business Development (BD) initiatives for our practice groups across the firm with the goal of attracting, retaining and expanding a loyal client base and increase revenue, the successful candidate will be responsible for planning, implementing and monitoring BD and marketing initiatives and campaigns, measuring ROI and driving a BD mindset in individual, practice group and firm levels. He or she will be someone who immediately gets in the trenches and builds trust with early small victories by focusing on assisting individuals and practice groups reach their business development growth goals.
Working closely with the practice groups and individual lawyers across all our offices, the Marketing & Business Development Manager will play an instrumental role in proactively engaging marketing and BD initiatives particularly in the London and South Western Ontario region and with specific practice groups in all offices. The focus of the role is to help drive the business planning process while managing the implementation of those business plans. The role involves coordinating efforts, organizing events, networking and business strategies, disseminating information, improving processes, and tracking progress.
The Marketing & Business Development Manager will be expected to develop knowledge of the industries that the firm serves, the clients of the firm, and the expertise and capabilities of each practice and/or industry group to inform the work on the BD initiatives. He/she will work closely with other members of the Marketing and BD team in our Toronto and London offices. As a senior member of the Marketing team, the successful candidate will be expected to mentor, inspire, and share/develop best practices.
This role will be also be responsible for leading and/or contributing to major marketing projects/initiatives, including client programming, digital projects, CRM, and change management. The Marketing & Business Development Manager will support a variety of practice groups such as Business Law, Real Property & Development, Personal Injury, Family Law, Privacy and other groups as may be assigned from time to time by the Director of Marketing & Business Development and/or the Executive Committee.
This role will report to the Director of Marketing & Business Development.
Responsibilities of the Position:
Planning & Reporting
- Work with individual lawyers and practice groups to identify client leads and BD opportunities.
- Work with individual lawyers and practice groups to develop and implement strategic business plans for practice/industry groups.
- Support the development and implementation of the practice/industry group business plans.
- Guide the practice group leaders on strategic go/no-go decisions on ad hoc BD opportunities.
- Provide regular reports on practice/industry group activities and track the results reporting on successes to practice group leaders, the Marketing & Business Development Director and/or the Executive Committee.
Client Acquisition and Development
- Develop an in-depth understanding of where new clients originate and use that understanding to strengthen existing referral sources and expand the firm’s referral sources.
- Identify new business opportunities.
- Develop and maintain business intelligence and target market research systems.
- Monitor new matters of the practice groups, capture and manage representative work and expertise ensuring the information is appropriately leveraged for BD opportunities.
- Develop pitches and Response to Proposals for practice groups, targeting new or existing clients for new work. Requires working with lead lawyer(s) to write content, develop pricing strategies, manage the submission, and organize presentation rehearsals and win/loss reviews.
- Encourage, manage and direct the implementation of BD activities within assigned practice groups
- Develop, implement and maintain client feedback programs, working with practice groups to implement process improvements resulting from client feedback.
Practice Campaign and Tactical Delivery
- Manage the implementation of tactical activities driven by annual firm and practice/industry group business plans, such as events, sponsorships/conferences, seminars/webinars, directory listings, and advertising; work with the Marketing and BD team on execution.
- Manage the development and maintenance of practice/sector marketing material.
- Identify thought leadership/subject matter expertise opportunities and work with marketing team to execute.
- Monitor conferences and other BD opportunities for direct fit for individual practice groups, including coordinating local presence.
- Actively organize BD meetings for assigned practice groups, preparing agendas if necessary, tracking resulting action items and monitoring progress on action items.
- Actively raise profile of assigned practice groups by ensuring participation in key legal directories and publication submissions, identifying speaking and writing opportunities for practice group members, etc.
- Assist with regular communication and information sharing, for instance, through deal tracking, new matter reports, insights on industry trends, client relationship guides.
- Other duties as identified and assigned.
- Must be a solution-focused team player and self starter, able to exhibit discretion and good judgment.
- University degree, major in Business or Marketing, preference will be given to candidates with legal industry or professional services experience.
- 3-5 years of experience in BD, experience working within a virtual team setting (working with team members in physical locations) an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an ability to communicate with individuals at all levels of the firm.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships, and take direction and criticism in a positive manner.
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills to meet deadlines.
- Ability to absorb new ideas and concepts quickly and to ensure all ideas and concepts are clearly communicated to an audience.
- Ability to meet the needs of individual lawyers including flexibility and perseverance.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, persuasion, conflict resolution, and relationship management skills.
- Politically and culturally sensitive.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills with high level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Experience working with lawyers and other similar types of professionals to develop achievable goals and processes.
- Commitment to confidentiality, privacy and ethics.
If you are interested in this position, please respond with an updated resume to email@example.com by March 6, 2020.
All applications are appreciated and will be retained for six months. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by phone.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Integrated Accessibility Standards, Ontario Regulation 191/11, accommodations are available, upon request, to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, assessment and selection process.
Should you require accommodation in order to fully participate in the process please contact us by phone at 519-672-4131 regarding accessibility in our London Office.
Lerners LLP is committed to diversity and inclusion in its workplace and encourages participation from all qualified applicants without discrimination.