Legal Assistant/Law Clerk – Health Law and Commercial Litigation
The London office of Lerners LLP has an opportunity for a full-time Legal Assistant/Law Clerk to assist in the areas of Health Law and Commercial Litigation.
The main responsibilities for this role include:
- Responsibility for opening files including conflict checks and closing files;
- Maintain effective BF and follow-up system;
- Drafting correspondence to clients, General Counsel, CPSO, tribunals and opposing counsel;
- Preparing and submitting monthly expense reports;
- Transcribing dictation and proof reading dictation from the correspondence centre;
- Updating HLP and transmitting correspondence through the CMPA Portal;
- Communicate with plaintiff and co-defendant counsel to obtain productions;
- Index records in CaseLogistix;
- Review and summarize records;
- Manage productions and medical records in CaseLogistix;
- Draft affidavits of documents;
- Identify and retain experts;
- Draft correspondence to and schedule meetings with experts and prepare materials for their review;
- Review discovery transcripts and follow up for undertakings;
- Satisfy client undertakings;
- Assist with Trial, CPSO, HPARB and HRTO Hearing preparation;
- Draft closing documents including pleadings, releases, litigation summaries, heads of damages, final letters to GC/CMPA and defendant physicians;
- Assist with CMPA Fee Estimates;
- Arrange independent medical evaluations/assessments;
- Arrange surveillance;
- Communicate with sophisticated clients to obtain information and schedule meetings;
- Communicate with the CPSO regarding deadlines and to obtain information.
Previous CMPA and Caselogistix experience will be a definite asset in this position.
The ideal candidate for this position must have the ability to work independently as well as part of a team with an emphasis on delivering excellent service to our clients. The ideal candidate will have excellent organization, verbal and written communication skills, and be able to multi-task.
If you are interested in this position, please respond with your updated resume to email@example.com by October 25, 2019.
All applications are appreciated and will be retained for six months. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by phone.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Integrated Accessibility Standards, Ontario Regulation 191/11, accommodations are available, upon request, to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, assessment and selection process. Should you require accommodation in order to fully participate in the process please contact us by phone at 519-672-4131 regarding accessibility in our London office.
Lerners LLP is committed to diversity and inclusion in its workplace and encourages participation from all qualified applicants without discrimination.