Legal assistant for health law and insurance defence
Application Deadline: December 14th, 2018
Lerners, one of Ontario's leading law firms, is dedicated to providing all of our clients — be they individuals, businesses, institutions or corporations — with exceptional legal counsel. For over eighty years, Lerners has provided a full range of legal services throughout Ontario. Lerners LLP maintains an attractive work environment with excellent support services and state-of-the-art technology, in addition to a competitive compensation package.
We are looking for a Legal Assistant to join our team in a 3 on 2 work share of Health Law/Insurance Defence lawyers, of whom two also do litigation involving historical sexual abuse cases. The candidate will provide legal support in Health Law, Insurance Defense, Professional Regulation, and Independent Legal Counsel work along with general administrative support services. There are also some plaintiff files. The ideal candidate will have at least 5+ years of previous experience working within the Insurance Defence/Medical Malpractice sector, be driven and able to work with little direction.
- Organizes and expedites flow of work through Lawyers’ office
- Routes or answers routine correspondence not requiring the Lawyers’ attention and initiates follow-up as required
- Principal scheduler for Discipline Committee Hearings (Independent Legal Counsel)
- Transcribes and types legal documents
- Prepares petitions, subpoenas, contracts and other legal documents according to general instructions and/or precedents
- Communicates with others to schedule appointments and coordinates arrangements for meetings/conferences/discoveries etc.
- Acts as receptionist for Lawyers. (Screens calls, letters, visitors, and answers routine questions when possible) - extensive contact with clients and/or potential clients via phone
- Handles administrative detail with respect to accounting, opening and closing files, docketing, billing, etc.
- Update and maintain Lawyers' calendar
- Prepare documents when needed by Lawyer
- Process mail
- Minimum 5+ years civil litigation assistant experience is required
- Experience in Health Law and Insurance Defence preferred
- Highly organized
- Self-motivated with ability to anticipate next steps and prepare documentation accordingly
- Good technology, keyboard and digital dictation skills are required
- Requires working knowledge of department/firm operations
- Competence in proper grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Knowledge of the type of law practiced by Principal, with the ability to do mechanics of same with little instruction
- Recognizes problems and abnormalities and may exercise judgement to resolve
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities
- Thorough working knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure
- Excellent communicator with workflow partner and lawyers
- Work toward assigned objectives
- Primarily works independently
- Results of work reviewed with supervising lawyer on completion of assignment
Interested applicants are requested to submit their resume by e-mail to CareersToronto@lerners.ca by December 14, 2018. We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Integrated Accessibility Standards, Ontario Regulation 191/11, accommodations are available, upon request, to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, assessment and selection process. Should you require accommodation in order to fully participate in the process please contact us be e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 416.867.3076 regarding accessibility in our Toronto office.