Law Clerk – Wills and Estates Group (Strathroy Office)
We have an opening for a Law Clerk to work with the Wills and Estates Group in our Strathroy office. The main responsibilities for this position include:
- Preparing the initial estate planning documents including; wills, powers of attorney, heath care directives, trusts, accounts and reporting documents;
- Administering estate files including:
- meeting with and contacting clients for initial information and obtaining death certificate;
- contacting banks and investment companies to obtain asset information;
- notifying Government agencies of death, cancelling pensions and applying for benefits;
- locating insurance policies and preparing claim forms for benefits;
- advertising for creditors and mail re-direction;
- obtaining information and paying any debts of the estate;
- assisting client in sale or transfer of estate assets;
- arrange for sub-search and preparation of real estate property transfers;
- closing out bank and investment accounts, liquidating assets (CSBs, shares, etc.) and depositing proceeds to trust account;
- opening estate investment trust accounts;
- preparing probate application documents and arranging for signature, swearing and filing with Court;
- corresponding with the Court Office;
- arranging for preparation and filing income tax returns;
- preparing estate accounting;
- calculating executors’ compensation and preparing necessary tax slips;
- preparing Court documents to pass accounts
- Communicating professionally with clients to collect relevant information from clients in order to perform conflict searches;
- Arranging appointments; meet with clients, provide fee quotes, locate documents;
- Administrative duties with respect to opening and closing files, maintaining the Wills and Estates database;
- Strong technical skills using MS Office; Estate-a-Base and PC Law;
- Assisting clients with changes to documents and arranging for signing, etc.; attend as a second witness for client signatures;
- Preparing Retainer, Schedule A for meetings;
- Prepare notarial copies of documents;
- Maintain an effective BF system;
- Preparing Affidavits of Execution and processing documents to be kept in vault;
- Accounts and reporting letters; maintaining accounts receivable; Deposit receipts/cheques;
- Assisting with guardianship application documents.
The ideal candidate for this position will have 5 or more years of experience in Wills and Estates. Applicants must have the ability to work independently as well as part of a team and will have excellent organization, verbal and written communication skills.
If you are interested in this position, please respond with your updated résumé to email@example.com by July 26, 2019.
All applications are appreciated and will be retained for six months. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by phone.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the Integrated Accessibility Standards, Ontario Regulation 191/11,accommodations are available, upon request, to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, assessment and selection process. Should you require accommodation in order to fully participate in the process please contact us by phone at 519-672-4131 regarding accessibility in our London Office.
Lerners LLP is committed to diversity and inclusion in its workplace and encourages participation from all qualified applicants without discrimination.