Law Clerk, Health Law and Insurance Law
The Toronto office of Lerners LLP has an opening for a full-time Law Clerk, in the areas of Health Law and Insurance Law. Preference will be given to candidates who have worked several years in a plaintiff personal injury practice and are interested in transitioning to a defence-oriented practice.
The main responsibilities:
- Communicate with clients to obtain documents;
- Reviewing, summarizing and indexing records;
- Draft pleadings, motions, affidavits of documents, status reports;
- Maintain communications and updates with clients including scheduling meetings;
- Assist with regular reporting to client;
- Communication with plaintiff and co-defendant counsel to obtain appropriate productions;
- Management of productions and medicals in Relativity;
- Summarizing medicals into a medical chronology;
- Analyzing and summarizing other productions;
- Ensure file is prepared for Examinations for Discovery, including preparation of chronologies and/or medical summaries;
- Identify appropriate experts, retain and communicate with experts;
- Review of discovery transcripts and follow up for undertakings;
- All aspects of trial preparation, including Pre-Trial, Trial, Pre-Hearing and Hearing preparation;
- Management of electronic hearings and trials;
- Maintain electronic Bring Forward database and management of client milestone reporting;
- Draft closing documents including draft orders, consents and releases;
- Arranging surveillance; and,
- File maintenance.
Strong working knowledge of Relativity is an asset for this position. Experience working with a document management system and paperless files is a requirement.
The successful candidate must have:
- Minimum of 5 years law clerk experience with preference given to experience in a practice area requiring initiative and drive to move files forward;
- Strong time management, organizational skills, attention to detail;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently, as part of a fast-paced team; and
- Ability to multi task and meet deadlines.
If you are interested in this position please provide an updated resume sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 14, 2021. Please use the subject line “Health and Insurance Law Clerk”.
All applications are appreciated and will be retained for six months. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by phone.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Integrated Accessibility Standards, Ontario Regulation 191/11, accommodations are available, upon request, to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, assessment and selection process. Should you require accommodation, please contact us at 519-672-4131.
Lerners LLP is committed to diversity and inclusion in its workplace and encourages participation from all qualified applicants without discrimination.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.