Chief Operating Officer
Application Deadline: November 23rd, 2018
The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for overseeing the day to day administrative and financial operations of Lerners LLP and its related entities, including the development and implementation of the firm’s short and long term business strategies necessary to support the growth and profitability of the firm.
The Chief Operating Officer will be located in Lerners’ London Office on a full time basis and be required to travel to Lerners’ Toronto Office and other regional offices for business purposes on a periodic basis.
KEY POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
The Chief Operating Officer will:
- Attend meetings such as Partnership, Executive Committee, Practice Group Leader, Practice Group, Strategic Planning Committee, London and Toronto Premises Committee, Occupational Health and Safety and Marketing meetings;
- Prepare and distribute the Agenda and related materials for meetings such as Partnership, Executive Committee, Practice Group Leader, Strategic Planning Committee and London and Toronto Premises Committee meetings;
- Complete complex financial analysis and present reports to the Executive Committee and Partnership including but not limited to, revenue generation, specific expense categories, distribution of income to Partners, work in process, docketed time, accounts receivables, disbursements receivables and write-offs throughout the year and meet with lawyers to resolve related concerns;
- Oversee the Senior Management Team in the London and Toronto Offices responsible for the firm’s accounting operations, human resources, administration, information technology, office facilities, marketing and development of articling students and associate lawyers;
- Work closely with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) on the firm’s annual revenue and expense budgeting process including review of proposed income and expense budget items and materials prepared by the CFO;
- Review monthly Financial Statements with the firm’s CFO;
- Monitor income and expense levels on an ongoing basis, investigate income levels and specific expenses as required, meet with firm members at all levels to manage the firm’s income and expenses;
- Oversee with the CFO the preparation of the firm’s annual financial statements and audit process, including meeting with the firm’s accountants and auditors to discuss annual results;
- Along with the CFO, work with the Compensation Committee to complete the Partners’ annual compensation process;
- Maintain a business relationship with the firm’s accountants, review changes to tax laws, Provincial and Federal budgets, and ensure all tax legislation is adhered to;
- Maintain a business relationship with the firm’s financial institution, attend with bank representatives to negotiate the firm’s financial arrangements;
- Complete annual application for lawyers’ and paralegals’ errors and omissions insurance coverage, attend with insurance providers, negotiate annual premiums, report claims/potential claims that arise, monitor claims and negotiate settlement of claims;
- Oversee the firm’s various insurance coverages such as Commercial Business, Crime, Directors’ Liability, Cyber, Law Firm Management, Long Term Disability and review new insurance coverages as required;
- Work with the Executive Committee to complete the firm’s succession planning process for Executive Committee members, Practice Group Leaders and retiring Partners, meet with Partners to formalize succession and transition plans prior to retirement, ensure smooth transition process;
- Assist with recruitment of new Partners, Agreements and onboarding process;
- Conduct investigations for leased and purchased office facilities as required, negotiate leases, purchases and leasehold improvement details, oversee renovation, expansion and relocation projects;
- Attend at the Toronto office and Owen Sound office to monitor operations and interface with the lawyers, administrators and staff at those locations. It is possible additional regional locations could be established in the future which the Chief Operating Officer would oversee;
- Identify, analyze and pursue new business opportunities, as approved by the Executive Committee, even if they are collateral to the traditional legal practice;
- Ensure all legislative requirements with respect to the firm’s operations are met on a day to day basis;
- Complete special projects as required;
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)/Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Business Administration, Certified Public Accountant (CPA);
- At least seven years of senior operational management in a legal environment or other professional services environment;
- Understanding of the Law Society of Ontario Rules;
- Excellent understanding of best accounting practices and procedures, financial analytic and reporting skills;
- Knowledge of Canada Revenue Agency tax laws and regulations;
- Excellent project management, attention to detail and organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple teams and projects at the same time;
- Outstanding leadership and change management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to nurture and maintain effective working relationships at all levels;
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
Lerners’ Executive Committee, the Managing Partner in the Toronto office and the Managing Partner/Chair of the Firm in the London Office.
If interested in this position, please submit a resume and cover letter, stating salary expectations by November 23, 2018.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Integrated Accessibility Standards, Ontario Regulation 191/11, accommodations are available, upon request, to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, assessment and selection process. Should you require accommodation in order to fully participate in the process please contact us by emailing email@example.com, or by phone at 519-672-4131 regarding accessibility in our London office.
Lerners LLP is committed to diversity and inclusion in its workplace and encourages participation from all qualified applicants without discrimination.
Resumes should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.