Alysia Christiaen is a Business Law Group partner and the Chief Privacy Officer at Lerners LLP, with more than 10 years of experience in advising clients on the issues most critical to them. Her corporate practice is focused on general corporate-commercial matters, emerging industries and advising non-profit organizations and charities. She works with clients that range from small business owners and individuals to larger enterprises.
Her privacy practice focuses on advising businesses and other organizations across Ontario on privacy issues, including preparing privacy policies, developing training programs, conducting privacy impact assessments, and managing privacy breaches. Alysia is certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals as a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Canada.
Alysia spent several years at the start of her career as a litigator, appearing before tribunals, the Superior Court of Justice, and the Divisional Court. Her litigation experience allows her to assist clients in mitigating risk and avoiding disputes that could lead to the courtroom.
Growing up, Alysia learned the value of hard work in her family’s business and the farm fields of Norfolk County, and demonstrates that value in every file she takes on. Alysia’s hard work also extends to the community. She served on the Board of Directors of the Brain Injury Association of London and Region for 7 years, and was the President for 4 of those years. Accessible health care is a core value to many Canadians. Alysia believes the hospital is the heart of every community and serves as a Board member for the London Health Sciences Foundation. A mentor of Alysia’s was her grandfather who suffered from Parkinson’s Disease. After moving to London, she became active with the Parkinson Society Southwestern Ontario and is now the Vice-Chair of the Board.
When not serving her clients and her community, she enjoys playing softball, watching NASCAR, and travelling. She would describe herself as a fashionable foodie and is happy to offer recommendations for hidden gem restaurants.
- Selected by peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in Canada (2022)
- Recognized as a Lexpert Rising Star: Leading Lawyers Under 40 (2019)
- Awarded with Top 20 Under 40 Award, London Inc. Magazine (2018)
- Member, Board of Directors, Canadian Medical Hall of Fame (2022-present)
- Member, Board of Directors, London Health Sciences Foundation (2021-present)
- Vice-Chair, Board of Directors, Parkinson Society Southwestern Ontario (2020-present)
- Co-Chair, London Health Sciences Foundation, Tastings Committee (2020-present)
- Member, London Health Sciences Foundation, Tastings Committee (2019)
- Member, Board of Directors, Parkinson Society Southwestern Ontario (2013-2020)
- President, Board of Directors, Brain Injury Association of London & Region (2015-2019)
- Member, Board of Directors, Brain Injury Association of London & Region (2012-2015)
- Speaker, Ontario Association of Social Workers, Privacy, Disclosure & Litigation, September 2022
- Panelist, Kitchener-Waterloo Chamber of Commerce, Managing the Great Resignation, June 2022
- Speaker, Ontario Association of Social Workers, PHIPA Primer, February 2022
- Speaker, Ontario Association of Social Workers, Practical Tips for Clinical Records, January 2022
- Speaker, Ontario Association of Social Workers, Privacy, Disclosure and Litigation, November 2021.
- Speaker, London Economic Development Corporation, Privacy Considerations for Businesses, October 2021.
- Speaker, Ktichener-Waterloo Chamber of Commerce, Business Success Series, April 2021
- Guest Speaker, Privacy Law, Ivey School of Business MBA Program, Western University, 2020-present
- Speaker, London Chamber of Commerce Emerging Stronger Series: You Need More Than PPE To Protect Your Business – Privacy Considerations for Business, October 2020
- Author, Whose phone is it, anyway? Privacy rights when employees use corporate devices, The Lawyer's Daily, June 19, 2020
- Chief Privacy Officer (2020)
- Partner, Lerners LLP (2016)
- Associate Lawyer, Lerners LLP (2009-2015)
- Articling Student, Lerners LLP (2008-2009)
- Summer Student, Lerners LLP (2007)
- Accreditation Coordinator, Western University Campus Community Police Service (2006-2008)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- The Advocates’ Society
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Middlesex Law Association
- London School of Economics and Political Science, MBA Essentials Course (2021)
- Osgoode Law, Certificate in Privacy Law and Information Management in Healthcare (2020)
- Rotman’s School of Business, University of Toronto, Business Leadership for Women Lawyers (2018)
- Osgoode Law, Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop (2010)
- Admitted to Ontario Bar (2009)
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Western Ontario (2008)
- Honours Bachelor of Science (Major in Psychology and International Relations, Minor in Economics), University of Toronto, Trinity College (2004)
Insights from LERNx