Kimberly Cura is an associate lawyer at Lerners LLP and a graduate of the Western University Faculty of Law. She maintains a diverse litigation and dispute resolution practice, focusing on estates and trusts law, commercial disputes, and appellate advocacy.
Kim assists estate trustees, beneficiaries, and attorneys and guardians for property and personal care in achieving practical and cost-effective resolutions on issues involving capacity, will challenges, accounting, and dependant support claims. She also represents clients in the areas of contractual and business disputes, real estate litigation, and employment law.
Kim is actively involved with Pro Bono Ontario at Children’s Hospital, LHSC, where she assists families and patients with their legal needs.
- Jam v Juergens Exteriors, 2019 ONSC 7534 – successful appeal of a Small Claims Court decision based on reasonable apprehension of bias by the deputy judge at trial
- Associate Lawyer, Lerners LLP (2017-present)
- Articling Student, Lerners LLP (2016)
- Summer Intern, Canadian Red Cross (2015)
- Legal Intern, PREDA Foundation Inc. (Olongapo City, Philippines) (2014)
- International Education Intern, Western International, Western University (2012-2013)
- Development Intern, AIESEC Foreign Trade University (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam) (2011)
- “Employee Privacy: A Balancing Act”, Lerners LLP Legal Human Resources Seminar, November 25, 2020
- “Mediation in Estate Litigation”, Middlesex Law Association Fifteenth Annual Wills, Estates, and Trusts Conference, November 4, 2020
- “Legal Bulletin: Noteworthy Cases on Workplace Harassment”, Lerners LLP Legal Human Resources Seminar, November 28, 2019
- “Hiring Policies in Relation to Citizenship/Immigration Status: A Cautionary Tale”, Lerners LLP Legal Human Resources Seminar, October 23, 2018
- “Rule 2.1: Blunt Force for Patently Frivolous, Vexatious, and Abusive Proceedings”, Thirteenth Annual Straight from the Bench Conference, June 14, 2018
- Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition (2016) – third placed national team
- Harold G. Fox Entrance Scholarship (2013)
- Dean’s List, Western University (2008-2012)
- Andrew Barnes Memorial Award in Political Science (2011)
- Western University Continuing Scholarship (2008-2012)
- Trustee, St. Paul’s Social Services (2018 to present)
- Member, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Lerners LLP (2018 to present)
- Estate Planners Council
- The Advocates’ Society
- Middlesex Law Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Southwest Region Women's Law Association
- Admitted to Ontario Bar (2017)
- Juris Doctor, Western University (2016)
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons.), Western University (2012)
Born and raised in the Philippines, Kim speaks fluent Tagalog and Kapampangan (regional dialect) and conversational Vietnamese. Outside of work, Kim is a pianist, singer, mom to Oreo the standard poodle, and avid traveller.
Insights from LERNx