Lerners Partner Faisal B. Joseph Receives Honorary LL.D
We’re pleased to congratulate our partner Faisal B. Joseph, who had an Honorary Doctor of Laws conferred upon him by his alma mater, St. Francis Xavier University, in recognition of his long-standing, fearless commitment to justice, service to the Canadian Muslim community, and to the community at large, at Fall Convocation held on December 4, 2022.
A proud alumnus of St. Francis Xavier, Faisal started his legal career in the Maritimes before joining our London office in 1994. For more than 35 years, he has been a determined champion for civil rights, an indomitable advocate for justice and understanding, and a community activist renowned for combatting prejudice and promoting inclusion. Some highlights include:
- Serving as Legal Counsel to the Canadian Islamic Congress, where he became, in effect, the spokesperson for Canada’s Muslim community in the aftermath 9/11
- Representing the interests of ethnic and religious minorities before Canada’s lawmakers at the Subcommittee on Public Safety and National Security. Since that time, he has become a well-known presence in the national media where he is frequently called upon to comment on instances of religiously motivated crimes.
- Appearing on behalf of Maher Arar before the Commission of Inquiry into the Actions of Canadian Officials in Relation to Maher Arar, which ultimately led to Arar’s exoneration.
- Being recognized by Dalton McGuinty, the former Premier of Ontario for his expertise in drafting “hate crime legislation”, as well as for his views on “security issues, and questions of international justice.”
- Serving as former President of the Islamic Society of Southwestern Ontario and helping to establish the first Muslim cemetery in the area.
- Securing the $2,000,000 in funding to endow the Chair of Islamic Studies at Huron College, University of Western Ontario in 2011.
- Supporting the Shalom-Salam / Jewish-Muslim breakfast meetings for business leaders in London.
- Travelling to Rome in 2008 as an invited delegate to the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, where he was granted an audience with Pope Benedict XVI.
He has also served on the board of directors of numerous of charitable organizations including St. Joseph’s Hospital, Childreach, the United Way, Lawyers Feed the Hungry, and the Canadian Cancer Fund, to name a few.
“Faisal has made immeasurable contributions to the profession of law, and to the community throughout his career”, says Yola Ventresca, Managing Partner “We are incredibly grateful for his leadership over the years, and are proud to celebrate this incredible recognition of his passion and dedication to justice, understanding and inclusion with him.”
Congratulations Faisal, on this outstanding achievement!
News Listing Sidebar
Kirk Boggs Quoted in Law 360 Article
Congratulations Sandev Purewal on Becoming President-Elect of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (OTLA)
You Down with OPC? Join us at our Upcoming Privacy Seminar on June 1st!
Congratulations to Mark McAuley and The McAuley Boys
Join Us for the 5th Annual Commercial Leasing Seminar