Legal Assistant for Commercial Litigation Department
Application Deadline: June 1st, 2018
Lerners, one of Ontario's leading law firms, is dedicated to providing all of our clients — be they individuals, businesses, institutions or corporations — with exceptional legal counsel. For over eighty years, Lerners has provided a full range of legal services throughout Ontario. Lerners LLP maintains an attractive work environment with excellent support services and state-of-the-art technology, in addition to a competitive compensation package.
We are looking for a Legal Assistant to join our team in a 3 on 2 work share of Commercial Litigation lawyers. The ideal candidate will have at least 5+ years of previous experience
- Organizes and expedites flow of work through Lawyer’s office
- Routes or answers routine correspondence not requiring the Lawyer’s attention and initiates follow-up as required
- Transcribes and types legal documents
- Prepares a variety of legal documents according to general instructions and/or precedents
- Communicates with others to schedule appointments and coordinates arrangements for meetings/conferences.
- Acts as receptionist for Lawyers. (Screens calls, letters, visitors, and answers routine questions when possible) - extensive contact with clients and/or potential clients via phone
- Handles administrative detail with respect to accounting, opening and closing files, docketing, billing, etc.
- Update and maintain Lawyer’s calendar
- Prepare documents when needed by Lawyer
- Process mail
- Update databases when needed
- Minimum 5+ years’ civil litigation assistant experience is required (preferably in Commercial Litigation)
- Highly organized
- Self-motivated with ability to anticipate next steps and prepare documentation accordingly
- Good technology, keyboard and digital dictation skills are required
- Competence in proper grammar, spelling and punctuation and ability to read in context
- Knowledge of the type of law practiced by the share’s lawyers, with the ability to do mechanics of same with little instruction
- Recognizes problems and abnormalities and may exercise judgement to resolve
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities
- Thorough knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure
- Reports to Lawyers
- Works according to standardized procedures and general work instructions
- Periodic checking by Lawyer of progress and results throughout work cycle
- Usually sets own priorities
- Is responsible for own work
Interested applicants are requested to submit their resume by e-mail to CareersToronto@lerners.ca by June 1, 2018. We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Integrated Accessibility Standards, Ontario Regulation 191/11, accommodations are available, upon request, to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, assessment and selection process. Should you require accommodation in order to fully participate in the process please contact us be e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 416.867.3076 regarding accessibility in our Toronto office.