Intermediate to senior law clerk for plaintiff personal injury department
Application Deadline: March 23rd, 2018
With offices in London and Toronto, Lerners LLP provides a full range of legal services throughout Southwestern Ontario. Lerners is one of Ontario’s largest and most respected full-service law firms. Lerners maintains an attractive work environment with excellent support services and state-of-the-art technology, in addition to a competitive compensation package.
Lerners has an opening in our London office for a full-time Intermediate to Senior Law Clerk in the area of Plaintiff Personal Injury.
The main responsibilities of this role include both the tort and Accident Benefits work on all files:
- administrative tasks for Plaintiff Personal Injury files from open to close including primary contact between team and client;
- information intake, conflict searches (colds calls/potential new clients);
- prepare initial client documents (retainer, authorizations/directions etc.);
- prepare/process accounts;
- maintain an effective Bring Forward system;
- schedule appointments, conference calls etc.;
- arrange transportation/accommodation;
- paper and electronic file maintenance in Document Management System/PrimaFact;
- draft correspondence;
- organize and summarize documentation, e.g. medical records;
- serve client productions/medical documents to Tort and Accident Benefits Adjuster;
- maintain Statutory Accident Benefit files and special damages lists;
- meet with clients to obtain status updates and complete application forms for accident benefits;
- request documentation from various care providers;
- communicate regularly via fax/phone/e-mail with clients (and their family members), accident benefits adjusters, and our clients’ treatment providers;
- maintain/update accident benefits status chart (internal chart used for tracking OCF-18s, expenses, etc.);
- submit clients’ expenses to their insurance company and follow-up regarding same;
- prepare and file Applications for Case Conferences/Hearings with the License Appeal Tribunal (LAT) when disputes over benefits/treatment arise with the insurance company;
- assist lawyers with settlement discussions and LAT mediations;
- pay incoming invoices related to accident benefits;
- provide medical brief to Assessment Centre re: Insurer examinations;
- prepare Assessable and Non-assessable disbursement lists;
- retain experts;
- prepare for trial including notifying witnesses;
- prepare draft Request to Admit and Notices under the Evidence Act;
- draft Final Direction and closing documentation;
- prepare Final Account.
Knowledge of PrimaFact is a definite asset for this position.
The ideal candidate for this position will demonstrate excellent organization, verbal and written communication skills, and be able to work independently, as well as in a fast-paced environment, with an emphasis on delivery of excellent service to our clients.
If you are interested in this position please apply by March 23, 2018 to:
Director of Human Resources
P.O. Box 2335
London, ON N6A 4G4
All applications are appreciated and will be retained for six months. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Lerners LLP is a barrier-free workplace. Additional accommodations are available to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, assessment and selection process. Should you require accommodations please let me know.
Lerners LLP is committed to diversity and inclusion in its workplace and encourages participation from all qualified applicants without discrimination.